Thursday, October 20, 2011

Where To Begin?

After posting my list last night, I went to bed feeling excited, energized and totally pumped for the next year. Then, on this gray and rainy morning as I stared at my list in the middle of class, the only thing that went through my mind, in addition to some choice expletives that I will spare my parents (hi guys!) from reading was: how the hell am I going to do all this?


And then, I started getting emails. And Gchats, and text messages. From my fantastic friends, not only telling me that they thought my list was great, but expressing interest -- nay, excitement! -- about completing some of the stuff with me. Remote Dostoyevsky book clubs? Check. Offers of places to stay in Vegas? Check. Suggestions for what movie to see while costumed? Check. (Rocky Horror seems to be the overwhelming favorite, though I checked the State Theater schedule and they're showing Cool as Ice, the 1991 remake of Rebel Without a Cause starring Vanilla Ice, at midnight in a few weeks...just saying).

See, I told you this blog would keep me honest! I was about ready to throw in the towel less than 24 hours in, but now, I'm back on board. I've said it before, I'll say it again: let's do this.
So, I ordered a used copy of The Brothers Karamazov -- all 796 pages of it -- for $8 on Amazon. I researched some upcoming marathons, though would gladly accept suggestions for good ones (with flat courses...and maybe beer at the finish line). 


But I think the most important thing I did today -- thanks to my friends -- was remind myself that this project isn't about feeling overwhelmed or anxious about checking things off my list. It's about challenging myself to grow and try new things, and appreciating the support I know I'll have along the way.

2 comments:

  1. When you find your nice and flat marathon, keep me posted. I make no promises that I'll be in running condition for that much mileage, but I don't know that I could allow my running buddy to accomplish this with someone else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chicago marathon is a good first time marathon- flat! No, I haven't run it... but I plan to one day! My dad was a marathoner for awhile, and Chicago was his first marathon - and by his account, a good one to start with.

    ReplyDelete