Thursday, July 19, 2012

#15. Clean out my closet, and donate the clothes I don't wear to Goodwill. Immediately go out and purchase a new, fantastic piece of clothing to fill the now-empty closet space.

This is what a trunk of crap looks like.
Moving sucks. I think that this is a pretty undeniable, irrefutable fact. It requires heavy lifting, paying money for cardboard (or, in my case, trolling Craig's List and Trader Joe's for free moving boxes), and for me, coming to terms with how much crap I have managed to accumulate in my adult life.



I'm almost 30 years old, and I haven't lived in place for more than 3 years since I was 18. So you'd think with all this moving that I'd have whittled down my possessions, sought out a more "minimalist" lifestyle. You would be wrong. I do a light clean-out every time I move, and periodically whenever my dresser drawers won't close, but that's about it. So knowing I'd be moving somewhere this year, this list item was both necessary and well-timed.


Minimalist.
This is not what my kitchen looks like.


Like some of these other items on my list, I suppose there's not much to say about cleaning out my closet. I discovered I had like, 15 more plain white t-shirts than I actually needed. I found a cardigan I'd had since freshman year of high school. I let go of several sorority-era t-shirts that I don't think I ever wore (and I'm not actually sure I even attended the event the t-shirt was for...). I relived my "swacket" days of the early 2000s. And I came out on the other end with 17 -- SEVENTEEN! -- shopping bags of shirts, pants, dresses, skirts, shoes, scarves, headbands and jackets that I donated to the Salvation Army yesterday. And man, did it feel good.

As for the second part of #15 -- purchasing a fantastic new piece of clothing to replace the empty closet space -- I'm going to put that on hold until I can officially survey the closets in my new apartment in Chicago, and until I (finally) have a paycheck again. And in the meantime, Michigan friends, if you see someone walking around the greater Ann Arbor area in a GW ADPi hayride or crush party t-shirt, you'll know a part of me is still here. 

3 comments:

  1. Too funny about the sorority wear! I am a regular purger of clothes but proud to still rock a skirt I've had since I was 15.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing better than dropping off the clothes at the salvation army! Good plan on buying something fabulous in Chicago, they have PLENTY of places to do that there :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you still found light despite the stress of moving houses. Just imagine the joy your act of giving brought those who are in Goodwill, those have been waiting for new clothes! Doesn't it feel awesome to know that your old but still decent clothes still have purpose?

    Alison Perris

    ReplyDelete