Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Quest for #1: Help Wanted!

Thanks to the very handy internet countdown clock feature (which I have been using overzealously lately for my graduation date -- 104 days, boom!) I know that I've got 52 days until I register for the Marine Corps Marathon and 287 days to actually get ready to run it. NBD.


So, I've run 2 half marathons before, but even though I joke that those combined equals a full marathon, I fully appreciate (and have heard from many people) that training for and running a full marathon -- all 26.2 miles at once -- is a lot different. I've been running a few miles on the treadmill a 3-4 days a week to ease into an actual training routine, cross-training with spinning, and doing some weight training (I AM SUCH A JOCK!). But I really need some inspiration and suggestions because lately I've been feeling like running 4 miles is great, but HOLY CRAP I HAVE TO RUN A WHOLE LOT MORE THAN THAT.

Since it's in my nature to obsessively prepare for things, and since I know a lot of you are runners, I figured I'd seek out some advice here. Any and every piece of advice/nuggets of wisdom you have, I'd totally appreciate. Of particular interest are these topics:

  • I need new running shoes. I'm planning to go to a fancypants running store in Ann Arbor to get fitted in the next few days, but would love to go in armed with some knowledge bombs. I used to wear Adidas running shoes that I loved, then got a new pair (same shoe though) and they gave me terrible blisters.
  • I also need a new pair of headphones for running. The ones I have bounce out of my ears and really squash the rush I get from my sweet jams. Any recommendations?
  • Have you run a marathon before? Did sticking to a particular training schedule help?
  • Was it helpful to do other races during the training period? I'm thinking about a 10k in April and a half-marathon maybe in July.
  • Have you ever worn those FiveFingers running things with the toes? I don't think I'm interested, but I'm extremely curious because they look like the equivalent of a very uncomfortable toe wedgie.
  • Running music! I like my beats quick 'n heavy and my lyrics vaguely unintelligible (see: Rihanna's "we fell in love in an office space"). Any suggestions?
So if you have a moment and any pearls of wisdom, email me, Facebook, send me a comment, a text, carrier pigeon, message in a bottle, sky writing, whatever. 

7 comments:

  1. i can only help with the last one. jog.fm! it gives you songs with bpm that match your pace (ranked by popularity). kind of awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Headphones: the ones that are ear buds but have little rubber plugs on the end stay in my ears the best.

    Five FIngers: I run with these on my training days and love them. When i use them I run harder and longer than usual and they have built a tremendous amount of muscle strength in my shins and calves. They are conditioning tools in my eyes, and yes once you get over the toe wedge thing they are awesome. I laughed at myself while getting fitted because it took me 45 mins to get 1 on. I have toes that like being together and not separated by a nylon spandex blend.

    You should have running goals. 5 miles / 10 / 15 / 20 / 25 / 30 set your schedule by the time you have left. Train, train, train!!! You body will hate you some days but in the end it will pay off.

    I thought of sky writing but was quoted a price per 15 characters. Got a little pricey...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bridget's Rules of Marathoning:
    #1: BE FLEXIBLE. Whatever training plan you choose to follow, be flexible. Somedays it might say you need to run 10 miles, and somedays you might feel like sitting on the couch and eating a cupcake. Listen to your body and what you need that day, not what the paper training plan says. That being said, never skip a long run.
    #2: Define your goals before you train: Do you want to finish? Make a certain time? Decide now. Then you can choose your training plan to match your goals.
    #3: Have fun. Running is one foot in front of the other, no matter the pace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. #1 - Whatever works for you when it comes to sneakers. Although this is in conjunction with Five Fingers question, I wouldn't do the five fingers for race day. First, personally, I think they are lame and scream "Hey look at me, I think I'm athletic so I got these gloves thingies for my feet. Cool Right? Right. Toes." Second, I don't think they're practical for a first time marathoner. Allow yourself some cushion in your shoe, but not too much. I wore low cushion nikes when I ran my marathon and really helped me out in the long run. I'm sure the running store visit will help out a lot.

    For headphones, I'm weird and have weird ears, so buds have never worked for me. A good pair of external ear phones that are light and cover your whole ear are good. Sony makes some relatively cheap sport headphones that are like $17 at Best Buy.

    For the additional races, signing up for some shorter distance races is fine. But don't go short - long - short, make sure they get progressively longer (depending on how many you sign up for). BUT, I wouldn't sign up for like a half marathon or something longer too close to the actual marathon. Make sure you space them out and give yourself about a month before the marathon to just run on your own. The shorter races helped me to get in to a race mindset and feel the atmosphere (i.e. getting used to constantly being passed and passing people), but once I had that experience, I felt more comfortable running by myself leading up to the marathon, just so I knew I could do it.

    As for stuff to listen to, it depends! Haha, just like everything. For me, podcasts and books were great, because those are longer and allow you to concentrate on something else while you're running. Yet, pump up jams are great to give you that little adrenaline boost you need every now and then.

    Also, the Marine Core Marathon is a great race because a lot of people come to watch and provide a lot of support. So you'll have that to look forward to as well.

    These are only my opinion and by no means am I expert. Just what worked for me. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Catharine, I haven't used Five Fingers, but I have used New Balance Minimus Trail shoes, and they are incredible! They're something in between Five Fingers and normal running shoes, and you dont have to deal with the weird toe things. These aren't the exact ones I have, but its part of the same line: http://www.zappos.com/new-balance-wt20-black-pink Although they are amazing to train in, I wouldn't necessarily use them for race-day.
    I definitely think they give me a better workout and I feel like my form has improved!
    I've only run half marathons myself, but I also think running other races in prep has helped me in the past!
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've run in Adidas, Nike, and New Balance shoes before and before my first half marathon I made the switch to Saucony. I love them - was recommended them by other runners, and probably won't look back. And definitely not interested in the toe thing. BUT once the weather gets warmer, feel free to do some sprint workouts in your barefeet. Besides being fun, they help reset where you put the pressure on your feet. The soccer fields at Mitchel field are a great place to do that.

    As for headphones and music - honestly - try transitioning yourself off of it. It works for 5ks and 10ks, but in my opinon, not for marathons. There's not enough music in the world to keep you entertained for 26.2 miles. So you have to learn how to keep yourself motivated and engaged in your run using just your mind and the scenery around you (and maybe someone who runs with you, but how likely are you to have someone else running a marathon at the same pace as you?). Not only will running headphones-free be simpler (and safer), it will help you find your true pace.

    As for training plans, Hal Higdon is the f-ing man http://www.halhigdon.com/

    ReplyDelete