Monday, November 14, 2011

#6: Attempt to salsa dance with reckless abandon at Cafe Habana

Mojito #1 + crazy eyes =
let's do this.
One down. 29 to go.


This post is embarrassingly late, but this was the first weekend I had to myself, in town, since probably the end of September, so I attempted to turn my brain -- and computer -- off for most of it and have fun.


Last Thursday night, I rounded up a group of my amazing friends to hit Cafe Habana for its weekly Thursday Night Salsa Dancing extravaganza. This was not my first Thursday at Habana by a long shot, but every time I go, I scoff at the idea of dancing. 


I could claim many reasons for this, but the fact is, I'm just a wuss. Everyone on the dance floor always seems so sultry and salsa-y and just generally good at dancing. Like, actual dancing. I can teach you how to Dougie like a champ, but throw on any sort of music that involves bongos and I'll smell ya later. So in keeping with the spirit of this blog, I decided to step outside my comfort zone and give it a shot. I figured I could always fall back on my other signature dance move, the Bye Bye Bye arm snap, if necessary.


We got to Habana around 10pm, promptly ordered the $5 mojitos and carafes of sangria, and I began mustering up enough rum-fueled courage to hit the dance floor. It took 3-4 (relatively weak) mojitos until I powered forward to the dance floor with my wonderful friend Rudy, who spun me around like a Latin lothario would. I failed somewhat miserably at doing anything other than flailing my limbs about and laughing awkwardly, but I'd like to think I really nailed my impression of Elaine's "Little Kicks" from Seinfeld. Sweet fancy Moses, indeed.


Amigos!
I came up for air after that, and by "air" I mean "2-3 more mojitos", and then went back out onto the floor with Josh, whose feet I unabashedly trampled on while attempting the elusive hip swivel that seemed so much easier when watching the other couples on the dance floor. They either had far more, or far fewer, mojitos than I did. Or like, actual salsa dancing instruction. Whatever. The best part about the actual dancing was that nobody actually cared! Sure, I took note of the people who seemed like semi-professional salsa dancers, but there were definitely plenty of other uncoordinated schmucks like me on the floor, and everyone was just having a great time. If that's salsa dancing, sign me up for more.


Though the drinks were delicious and the music was festive, the best part about the night was certainly the company. To everyone who came, thank you so much for helping me cross my FIRST item off my list, and for being super awesome, super supportive friends. I look forward to sipping many more mojitos with you all, minus the dance floor toe-smashing. But hopefully plus some more Dougie-ing.

No comments:

Post a Comment