Sunday, October 23, 2011

Pop Tarts & Planning.

I just returned from a truly, truly fabulous weekend in Washington, D.C., my old stomping grounds, celebrating the nuptials of one of my dearest friends, Marisa, and her fantastic new husband Dan. It was a fun, packed weekend -- dinner at Ping Pong Dim Sum, drinks at The Passenger (order the Last Word, you won't be sorry), brunch at Ted's Bulletin (check out that picture of their homemade Pop Tarts). And, of course, a full day of wedding celebrations, complete with a late-night dance party at Molly Malone's with the bride and groom. After a couple of stressful, midterm-y, head cold-y weeks, it was exactly the weekend I needed.


I've been thinking a lot about some of the bigger points on my list, particularly #1, the marathon. I've had lots of awesome suggestions of good races to look into, but the one that's always been on my mind -- and even more so after being in D.C. this weekend -- is the Marine Corps Marathon, and I think I've settled on that one as my goal. Everyone I know who has run it had a great experience, plus there are some other perks -- places to stay, friends to celebrate with, and a familiar course. There's a pretty decent chance I'll end up living back in D.C. after graduation anyway, and if not, it would be a great excuse to visit a place I really love. Registration isn't until early March, so I've got some time to decide, but for now I'm feeling good about this one (and also completely freaked out, but that's most likely because I haven't been to the gym in a couple weeks).

So, maybe I'll reintroduce myself to the treadmill tomorrow. That's a start.

2 comments:

  1. This is my 3rd time trying to comment. Hopefully third times the charm. Anyway, Marine Corps is amazing in terms of crowd support and the fact that its just a full marathon, so everyone there is doing the same distance. Sometimes I find it harder when running a marathon, and you find most of the group splits at 13 miles. I also recommend the Philadelphia marathon because it is pancake flat, AND has good crowds AND you can stay with me. And, if you live in DC, not too far. Its always the weekend before thanksgiving, which means you can totally eat a whole pie and not feel guilty the following thursday. Holler.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for Marine Corps. You'll love whatever one you do, I promise. The feeling of pride transcends the location.

    ReplyDelete