Thursday, October 20, 2011

The List.

So, as it turns out, this "30 Before 30" thing is actually quite popular. Just Google it and you'll see. Self-improvement fueled by a birthday milestone-related freak-out is way trendy.


One thing that struck me when reading through some of these lists, though, was the lack of emphasis placed on self-actualization. And by that I mean, "fall in love", "get married" and "have kids" were popular items, and on the lists of people who seem otherwise single and child-less. Setting goals is one thing; putting the ability to achieve these goals firmly in the hands of of someone else is quite another.

That said, here is my list, created with ambition, but also with an actual desire and intention to complete all 30 items in the next calendar year. Some of the bigger ones (numbers 1, 2, 4, 22...) will require planning, while some of the others (numbers 7, 19, 21, 28...) might happen on a whim. And I threw in a couple of freebies (numbers 8 and 30, specifically) for myself that still should be fun to write about, even though I know they're going to happen.

Now, here's the important part: who's joining me? If you see anything on here that tickles your fancy, something you're planning on doing or have been meaning to do, and want to do it with me, just let me know! If you're reading this, you probably have my email address, so just shoot me a message and let's dooo this.

My 30 before 30...
1. Run a full marathon.
2. Take a multi-day road trip, and extensively document it with photographs.
3. Cook a four-course meal and host a dinner party for friends.
4. Indulge in crepes and champagne in Paris.
5. Scream my face off on a roller coaster.
6. Attempt to salsa dance with reckless abandon at Cafe Habana.
7. Take myself out to lunch -- by myself -- and resist the urge to feel self-conscious.
8. Get a graduate degree.
9. Throw an amazing party, and find an amazing party dress to wear to it.
10. Put together a weekly flower arrangement for myself, for one whole month.
11. Watch the sunset from a hot air balloon.
12. Buy a bottle of wine that should be consumed only for a monumentally celebratory occasion. Drink it on a Tuesday night, for absolutely no reason.
13. Take a Michigan day trip.
14. Spend one whole day watching my favorite movies on the couch, without feeling guilty for being so lazy.
15. Clean out my closet, and donate the clothes I don't wear to Goodwill. Immediately go out and purchase a new, fantastic piece of clothing to fill the now-empty closet space.
16. Read The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.
17. Go vegetarian for a week, and try out some new, non-meat recipes.
18. Go to an outdoor, live music festival -- preferably via RV.
19. Spend an afternoon building a snowman.
20. Buy one piece of original artwork for myself.
21. Write the people I love letters telling them why. Send them.
22. Visit Las Vegas, and bet on 30 in roulette. Be happy even if I don't win.
23. Get a major haircut.
24. Try speed dating, and then laugh about it after over cocktails with friends.
25. Go to a midnight moving showing, in costume.
26. Go TV-free for one whole week.
27. Spend an entire day on a boat.
28. Bake and decorate a cake from scratch, including the icing.
29. Visit a vineyard, sample the wine, and then buy a bottle of my favorite to take home.
30. Officiate a wedding.

5 comments:

  1. I can definitely help you out with number 30 on your list ;) and I am sure I could be easily convinced to take a trip to Vegas - love the idea of this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent!
    I'm in for all food-related activities. Except of course your lunch because that would totally ruin the point :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got food poisoning from Cafe Habana once, so I will never ever go there again. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bridge, this is the Cafe Habana in Ann Arbor, not that one in DC!

    ReplyDelete