Friday, March 23, 2012

The Quest for #1: On my way (at least technically...)

Basset Hounds running...what greater joy is there.
So, this whole time I've been talking about running the Marine Corps Marathon, I've sort of neglected the fact that I actually have to register for it. I'd heard it was a competitive race to get into, so in typical me fashion, I penned the registration date into my calendar, and kept a close eye on the website when the day came. As soon as registration opened I zipped through the process and $93 later, I had my confirmation. Long story short...


I'm registered for Marine Corps Marathon 2012!


Last year's race sold out in 28 hours. This year's race sold out in 2 hours and 41 minutes! Soooo trendy.


I so appreciate the people who have congratulated me when I tell them this news, especially those who have run the race before and have nothing but positive things to say about the course and the overall experience. But hearing those "congratulations" only reminds me how much work is going to go into the next 218 days, 16 hours, 7 minutes and change, and of course the 26.2 miles after that.


So, as a first-time marathoner who at this moment feels GROSSLY unprepared to run even a 10k, let alone over 4 times that, I have decided that I am going to use this space to keep track of my training efforts. School is almost over, I'm not sure where I'll be or what I'll be doing come this summer, so right now I'll focus on what I can control: become less grossly unprepared.


I'll start with a confession: I hate running. I hate the way I think I look when I'm running. Sometimes I get frustrated when my iPod switches to a song I don't like and then that reminds me how tired my legs are and then I just want to stop. I sometimes catch glimpses of how fast other people are running on the treadmills next to me and fall into a deep shame chasm. One time, I even convinced myself not to go to the gym because the treadmill TVs don't have closed captioning and I really wanted to watch the next episode of House Hunters International (disclaimer: this show is on HGTV no fewer than 14 hours a day). I could go on, but I think you get it.


Here's another confession: I really want to love running. So far, I love the feeling I get after I finish running. Crossing the finish lines of the races I have done are waaay up on my list of best memories. Right now, I run for the finish line, for the "Workout Complete" message on the treadmill. But my goal, my hope, is that somehow along the way, I'll become a runner.

3 comments:

  1. I love this post! Especially the part about how something as small as a change in your ipod song can send you down a spiral of bad thoughts. You'll need something to pull you out and I recommend a mantra. A phrase you can repeat in your head over and over again until you don't remember how your body feels. My sister's is "You got this." Mine is "high school shot put legs do all the work." (It has a cadence to it as I run so each word comes with one step.) This is not going to get you to love running, but it's a start. Congrats on the registration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so with you on the running - I HATE IT, but I really want to love it. I am so impressed you signed up for the marathon, that is something way to daunting for me to even attempt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly what you mean about the running. I hated, hated, HATED running. For every single reason you listed. But, somehow over the past 2 months I've come to love it. I think it's because I run outside where there are pretty trees and other runners that wave as you pass. I change my course so that I'm not bored with it...or I run a familiar one on days when I'm having a tough run and the "check points" keep me going. I usually go on 2-4 mile runs, depending on the day...but put me on a treadmill and I can barely motivate myself to run one mile. I hate it so much. It's so boring and seems to last FOREVER. Try running outside...you might find that it's less awful :) Congrats on registering!

    ReplyDelete