Friday, October 28, 2011

Happy Halloweekend!

Okay, so remember how I was going to be a loofah for Halloween/on the next season of So You Think You Can Sew? That might not actually pan out. After two nights of sewing, pinning, cutting, tulle-ing and re-tulle-ing, my loofah looks decidedly like a big, shiny, lavender cotton ball. Or perhaps a full-body strapless purple tutu for an insane ballerina. Or maybe an iridescent bunch of Candy Land-style grapes. Or a Katy Perry outfit. Whatever it is, it doesn't look much like a loofah. This is the part where I make a joke about feeling aloof-ah about my loofah costume. Right?


Does anyone actually like candy corn?
Perhaps some additional folding and fluffing of the tulle would help, but alas, my schedule has not allowed much time for this, so it'll have to wait til Halloween 2k12. Nothing says festive like a 30 year old human-sized loofah. Thankfully, I have a costume from a couple years ago I'm going to drop on Ann Arbor tonight. It involves toy snakes and fake eyelashes, so I'm totally happy.


Halloween always makes me miss being a kid a little bit. I had some pretty awesome costumes when I was a kid: Marge Simpson, a Christmas present (to accommodate a broken elbow and associated hot pink cast), Barbara Bush (the elder, not the twin), a severely injured person (okay this is weird...but I had crutches, an Ace bandage and a dream), a gypsy. I had an amazing, cloth pumpkin bag for trick-or-treating that was far more chic than the hooligans with their pillowcases. And I had neighbors who appreciated that DumDum lollipops are great for displaying at the cash register of a Chinese restaurant, but Halloween candy needs to be substantial, and have shiny wrappers and preferably a high peanut butter-to-chocolate ratio.


But alas, there will be no trick-or-treating in my immediate future, but there WILL be friends who take costumes and theme parties seriously. And hopefully some bite-sized chocolate. Which is really all I need anyway. That, and some eyelash glue.


Happy Halloween everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment